I am Ivor Manley, Treasurer of the U3A Farnborough and District.
1. Where? Farnborough is the county of Hampshire, in the UK, approximately 40 miles South West of London.
2. How many members? 1000 plus.
3. Range of Activities 90 Study Groups ranging from Languages through Art Appreciation, Painting, History, Industrial Archaeology, Architecture, Social History and Music Appreciation and Jazz, to physical activities like walking, Bowls, Tai Chi and Yoga. Visits (to historic sites, concerts, exhibitions and theatres), group holidays, study days and weeks are very popular and encourage that sense of learning together, which is a crucial element of the U3A
4. What I like best about my U3A. Its members, who are looking for challenges and stimulation in their third age but in a companionable and "fun" context.
5. My personal message. The U3A has a great deal to offer. Not only the scope for life long learning but also the support of others at a time of potential vulnerability. How often have I heard people say that "the u3a has been the saving of me."